Friday, September 16, 2011

The Lost Coast


We started in the redwoods for today's route and went to the largest redwood on the park( Rockefeller). After that I started a cat 1 climb of 7 miles , going at a blistering pace of 3 mph at times. The descent was very rough going due to the road surface-- a teeth chattering, bone jarring, and chilly downhill. I was very tired by the time I reached the lunch stop at milemarker 30. Following lunch, we had a couple more climbs and descents before reaching the Lost Coast, a largely undeveloped part of CA coastline. The headwinds were particularly strong so I tucked in behind Sharon for the last 5 miles, which worked out fine until she dropped her chain! I finished with 48 miles and 4273 feet of climbing. I was more wiped out today than any other day-there was no gas in the tank. 2 people in the group (Ross and Stan) completed the full ride which included an 8 miles climb at 18% followed by another 8 mile climb that looked pretty tough. I didn't try- knew I was too tired. Tomorrow is our last day-- I think I will elect to do a hike thru the redwoods.

- Baad Kitty

No comments: